Home
Media library Media library Advanced search Advanced search
Help Help Shop of the Museum
THEMES Glossary Exhibitions - Discovery Show room
Information Information
FR DE
Accessibility
WORKS Favourites list Favourites list Site map Site map
Diary
Media library
Glossary
Favourites list
Advanced search
Exhibitions - Discovery
Site map
Help
Information
Home | Centuries | The 18th century - Religion in the «Desert» period | The Lausanne Theological Seminary (1726-1812)
The Lausanne Theological Seminary (1726-1812)
Further information Add to the favourites list Print this page Send this page   Previous 5 / 9 Next
 

The seminary in Lausanne was started at the instigation of Antoine Court. Its purpose was to train those called to the ministry in France during the "Desert" period.


The plan of Antoine Court

The programme for the reconstruction of the Reformed Church in France, put in place by Antoine Court from 1715, had several parts :

Rstoration of Church law and ecclesial organisation as they were before 1685

The Theological training of ministers within an academic framework.

Antoine Court did not manage the Lausanne Seminary, but he coordinated it. He was both a tutor and secretary, as well as link between the Seminary and Protestant Churches in France.

Go to top Establishing the Seminary

The Seminary was meant to replace the Reformed Academy, which had been closed even before the Revocation of the Edict of Nantes.

From 1726 to 1744, about forty students enrolled, two to four a time.

From 1745 to 1812, enrolment settled at about twelve to sixteen students a year, and the length of the course increased.

The teachers were lecturers from the Académie and ministers from Zurich, Bern and Geneva.

Synods sent ordinands to Lausanne secretly. In many provinces, before going to Lausanne, the student or ordinand was required to sign a document in which they promised both to return to their province and not renege on their original commitment.

Go to top The curriculum

At first, the studies were limited to one year, in view of the urgent need for ministers during Desert period.

From 1745, the course of study was increased to two years ; the subjects were Greek if possible, Philosophy and Theology.

After the Edict of Toleration was issued in 1787, demands on the ordinands increased and the courses lasted five years : two preparatory years devoted to the study of Grammar and Logic, then three years of Theology, Church History, Morals, Physics and Mathematics.

The teaching of Theology was influenced by the philosophy of the Enlightenment, giving "Reason" a greater place.

Go to top The ceremony of ordination

The ordinands could only exercise their ministry after they had been recognised in a religious ceremony, established in the Reformed Church Code since the 16th century : the ordination.

From 1730 onwards ordination could be celebrated in Lausanne, in any other foreign Reformed Church, or in France, provided at least three ministers were present.

Go to top Closing the Lausanne Seminary

The teaching activities of the Seminary came to an end with the opening of the Theological Faculty at Montauban (1808, the Empire Law).

On 18 April, 1812, a closing ceremony took place in Lausanne.

Bibliography
Book
LASSERRE C., Le Séminaire de Lausanne, Bibliothèque vaudoise, Lausanne, 1997
Related articles
In this collection
Antoine Court (1695-1760)
The Edict of Toleration (November 29th, 1787)
Further information Further information Add to the favourites listAdd to the favourites list Print this page Print this page Send this page Send this page   Previous 5 / 9 Next
 © Virtual Museum of French Protestantism