The New Church of Saint Peter
The New Church of Saint Peter was built between 1250 and 1320 on the site of a former church of the early Middle Ages, and accommodated a college of canons after 1301.
As early as 1524 the parish approved the Reformed ideas. Wolfgang Capiton was its first pastor. In 1682 the building was split between Lutheran and Catholic worship, the former using the choir; a wall then separated the nave from the choir.
In the mid 19th century, on the initiative of pastor Friedrich Horning, The New Church of Saint Peter became the beacon of the Lutheran Revival that deeply marked the history of the parish. When the Catholic parish moved to a new building, the reunited church, as well as the cloister, were totally restored under the supervision of architect Carl Schäfer.
Progress in the tour
Protestant StrasbourgA walk with photos, texts and maps to better guide your route. A tour realized in collaboration with Strasbourg eurométropole and l’Union des Églises protestantes d’Alsace et de Lorraine. From...
Wolfgang Capiton (1478-1541)Wolfgang Capiton, an Alsatian theologian and reformer, took part in introducing the Reformation in Strasbourg.
Le simultaneumLe simultaneum résulte de l’histoire alsacienne. Il s’agit d’un édifice cultuel utilisé simultanément par les deux confessions catholique et protestante.