Church of the Shield

Heir to the French parish founded by Jean Calvin when he stayed in Strasbourg between 1538 and 1541, then headed by his successor Pierre Brully, the Church of the Shield was built between 1788 and 1790 to welcome the Reformed Protestants who had been forbidden to worship openly in Strasbourg since 1563.

  • L’église du Bouclier
    The Church of the Shield © Archives/Ville de Strasbourg

It was built in a neoclassical, simple and elegant style by the architect Jean Regnard Pfauth.

In 1790, the organ was created by Jean Conrad Sauer, a pupil of Jean-André Silbermann. The church tower was added in 1905.



Progress in the tour

Associated notes

Associated tours