The gate was part of the fortifications built by the Protestants of La Rochelle who wanted to extend the perimeter of their city to include ‘Prée Maubec’. This gate is the only remaining one from the destructions commanded by Richelieu after the 1628 Siege. It is not certain why, but it opens onto the marshes which like the sea front provides a defensive role in case of a hostile naval invasion.
Progress in the tour
Return to the route
Albert Schweitzer (1875-1965)
Albert Schweitzer was born in Kayserberg, in Alsace. His father was a pastor and very fond of music. He received his secondary education in Mulhouse. He was an exceptionally gifted person and orientated his activities in four main directions.
A walk through Protestant La Rochelle
As early as 1546, La Rochelle was one of the major cities in the kingdom won over to the Reformation.
La Rochelle had been an economic and maritime power since the 12th century, and did business with all the Protestant Northern states, namely England, the Netherlands and the Hanseatic cities.
In 1628, La Rochelle was taken by Louis XIII’s troops which ended Protestant supremacy of the city.
Upon the revocation in 1685 the inhabitants left the city massively. In 1802 there were only a thousand Protestants left.
The Protestant memory is still very present in La Rochelle, see the Rochelais museum and the tour around the city.