- The Grande Boucherie Temple
It stood on part of the square and of the court house and was in use in 1565, as proven by a bill paid to a joiner who set up benches on 2 April 1565.
- The New Temple
As the temple of the Grande Boucherie proved to be too small to receive all the faithful, an expansion project of 1607 was carried out in 1615, by annexation of part of the Lautié hospital. Purchases enabled this urban planning operation by remodeling the neighborhood. The construction was entrusted to the architect Levesville who was working on the construction of the Place Nationale. A decree of 29 October 1664 ordered the temple to be pulled down. Nothing is left of it except a copy of a drawing, there are, however, certain reserves considering that the original document was missing and and also that the working lease was signed by the Consuls and the architect. A Temple built in Cassel, in Germany, by Protestants immigrants is said to have been built following the architecture of the New Temple.
Place du Coq, Montauban, France
Walk in the Protestant Montauban
The conditions of foundation of the city, in 1144, by Alphonse Jourdain, Count of Toulouse, the rights granted by a particularly liberal charter for the time, the fact of being administered by elected Consuls seem to have predisposed the inhabitants to an independence of spirit which makes them welcome the Cathar and Valdeist doctrines, despite a temporary occupation of Simon de Montfort.
On the other hand, the economic and commercial activity of the city, which puts it in contact with England, Italy, Spain, the great fairs of Champagne allows to know the new ideas, and to open up to them.
Thus, from 1537, Michel de Affinibus, Jean de la Rogeraye, Jean Calvin read to their students the epistles of Saint Paul and were suspected “vehemently” of heresy.
A letter from King Henry II of November 18, 1551 asked Bishop Jean de Lettes to make an investigation “in order to purge and cleanse the diocese of errors, scandals, false and reprobate doctrines which contaminate and infect the flock of Jesus Christ” .
According to the vicar general, François Poinsson, who leads the investigation, the Calvinists stir everywhere.