A "tiny" temple in the Cévennes
This very small temple in the Cévennes Mountains, at the end of the Roubarbel Valley and accessible by a rough foot-path, escaped the 17th and 18th century destructions.
This small building, with a seating capacity of four rows of four people, was part of the Castle of Mandajors, burnt and demolished during the war of the Camisards in 1703.
An inscription can be seen on the fronton : “Reformed Church of France, 1727”.
The war of the Camisards (1702-1710)
The « Cévennes war » was the name given in the 18th century to the guerrilla warfare that devastated the Cévennes in the early years of the century and tried to re-establish the Edict of Nantes by brute force. It later became known as the war of the Camisards.
Les Basses Cévennes
Les Hautes Cévennes