History of the Melanchthon House
The Melanchthon House was built in the years 1897-1903 on the site of the former birthplace of the reformer which had burned down in 1689.
The construction plan by Johann Vollmer, professor for architecture at the Technical University at Berlin-Charlottenburg, was realised by the architect, Prof. H. Billing, Karlsruhe, later by Dr. W. Jung, Durlach.
The foundation stone was layed at the occasion of Melanchthon’s 400th anniversary, on Feb. 16, 1897, its festive inauguration was in 1903. Most of the credit for its realisation is due to the church historian and archeologist Dr. Nikolaus Mueller, University of Berlin.
Collection and life of the museum
The building is museum, place of research, one of the most extensive libraries specialised in Melanchthon and place of documentation of the international Melanchthon research.
There is a memory hall with frescoes and further rooms with approx. 11 000 books, 450 autographs, statues, coats of arms, paintings, commemorative coins and prints.
The interior decoration consisting of coats of arms on the ceilings and the walls, sculptures, paintings and otherworksof art, bookcases, glass cupboards and other furniture as well as precious bull’s eyes has remained unchanged since 1903.
The impressive memorial hall already reveals the biography of the great scholar (who was a relative of Johannes Reuchlin and a lifelong close friend of Martin Luther) and his vast lifework. The hall is frequently used for lectures, concerts, exhibitions etc. The ceiling and parts of the walls of the chamber of cities are decorated with 121 coats of arms carved in wood and giving an impression of the large number of cities, Melanchthon was associated with. The chamber of theologians reminds of the churchmen who were friends of Melanchthon. The chamber of princes presents the political forces of the Reformation. On the paintings and coats of arms in the stained glass windows, those princes, earls and noblemen are depicted, who were committed to introducing the Reformation theology in their territories. The chamber of humanists commemorates Melanchthon’s outstanding contemporaries from the fields of science and arts.
The Melanchthon House
in Bretten (Germany)
Melanchthonstr. 1 75015 Bretten - Allemagne
- Site de la maison Melanchthon à Bretten | Link
Jean Calvin museum
Noyon is one of the largest historical cities in the north of France, situated 100km north of Paris. From 531 onwards it was a bishop’s see, (the first bishop was called Saint Médard). Between 641 and 660, Noyon was evangelised by Saint Eloi, whose remains are buried under the altar of the cathedral. This is one of the oldest gothic cathedrals in France and some parts of it date back to the XIIth century.
Jean-Frédéric Oberlin Museum
The subject of the Oberlin museum is Jean-Frédéric Oberlin (1740-1826), a pastor noted for his new approach to agriculture and teaching. He was also a forerunner of social Christianity.
Albert Schweitzer's House in Gunsbach
Pierre Bayle Museum
International Museum of the Reformation (Geneva)
An interactive introduction to Protestantism from the XVIth to the XXIst century