The portal is the only remnant of the Protestant hospital founded by Barthélémy Ranson and his wife Elisabeth Judith Seignette in 1765 to save their ageing or sick co-religionists from the pressures experienced in the general hospital. The building located in the new city comprised two houses and a large garden used as a cemetery. It was financed by donations of the Reformed Community.
On 24 March 1794 the Protestant hospital was attached to the general hospital by a municipal decision, but granted separate existence on 16 fructidor year XIII -3 September 1805. The hospital eventually disappeared during the mid 20th century.
A walk through Protestant La RochelleAs early as 1546, La Rochelle was one of the major cities in the kingdom won over to the Reformation. La Rochelle had been an economic and maritime power since...