The house was built in the early 17th century by the Spaniard Martin Bartox de Solchaga. This unusual person is fairly well-known. He was born in Saragossa in 1567, then after a short stay at the Cordelier he entered the Sainte Trinité order, in order to liberate the captives in Valencia in Spain. He soon had the highest religious responsibilities, but after an ethical crisis which lasted about two or three years, he decided to abandon Catholicism. In March 1603, he chose La Rochelle and solemnly recanted and settled down as an ordinary doctor in the city. He died on at an unknown date, probably during the siege.
A walk through Protestant La RochelleAs early as 1546, La Rochelle was one of the major cities in the kingdom won over to the Reformation. La Rochelle had been an economic and maritime power since...