On the corner of the rue des Manettes, the name refers to the small statues of the Virgin formerly set at the corners of houses, the ancient timbered house (or the neighbouring house) was used as a secret worship place for the first followers of the ‘new opinions’. Though the exact date when the Reformation appeared in La Rochelle is unknown, it was introduced a little before 1540 and the suppression of ‘
Progress in the tour
Return to the route
A walk through Protestant La Rochelle
As early as 1546, La Rochelle was one of the major cities in the kingdom won over to the Reformation.
La Rochelle had been an economic and maritime power since the 12th century, and did business with all the Protestant Northern states, namely England, the Netherlands and the Hanseatic cities.
In 1628, La Rochelle was taken by Louis XIII’s troops which ended Protestant supremacy of the city.
Upon the revocation in 1685 the inhabitants left the city massively. In 1802 there were only a thousand Protestants left.
The Protestant memory is still very present in La Rochelle, see the Rochelais museum and the tour around the city.